Sunday, April 1, 2018

Our Redeemer Remains Risen Even When We Have Nothing

RESURRECTION
EASTER SUNDAY
APRIL 1, 2018
JOB 19:23–27
Our Redeemer Remains Risen Even When We Have Nothing
In the name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth.
Job had nothing when he spoke his most repeated famous words. Here is just a portion of his lament:
JOB 19:18-20 Even young children despise me; when I rise they talk against me. All my intimate friends abhor me, and those whom I loved have turned against me. My bones stick to my skin and to my flesh, and I have escaped by the skin of my teeth. ENGLISH STANDARD VERSION
Everything he had had been stripped away, piece by piece. His children were dead, his money was gone, his wife hated him, and his friends kept on pecking him to death with their accusations.
But Job had one thing left. He clung to his redemption and resurrection.
JOB 19:25–27 I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see Him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!” NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION 1984
Dear friends, perhaps our losses won't ever be as epic as Job's, but we still lose. The land that we loved has departed. The brother that we used to know has turned against us. The body that used to run and jump and rest now just aches. The child who used to smile at us with baby smiles now scowls and uses the voice you longed to hear to question your every decision, much like the friends of Job.
This life is loss and pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. Job knew it; so do we. And we have what Job had: Christ. He didn't know the name, as we do, but Job knew His work: Redeemer.
The Redeemer was coming and in the end He would stand upon the earth as the One who conquered pain, loss, and even death itself.
Job is dust. Has been for a long time. If Job died today, we'd be looking back at Job 19 in the year (ballpark) 6000 AD. He lived at least 4000 years ago, yet Adam had told his sons about the coming Redeemer, the One who stamp out the work of the devil.
The who stamps has come. He stamped out the devil's power on the cross and then He departed the tomb to give you His victory on the cross, by giving us His living body and blood in His holy supper.
So let us eat this bread and drink this cup and proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes (1 CORINTHIANS 11:26). And when He comes we will join Job, staring joyfully at Jesus Christ.
Godspeed the Day!
In Jesus' Name. Amen.
God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Thanks be to God!

No comments: